Subject: Re: Nubus-only video on a IIci - not possible?
To: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/1998 10:28:46
> I'm setting up a IIci I just picked up (retiring a IIcx, SE/30 stil going
> strong) with 1.3.1, and had it boot off just the 8/24 card in order to
> avoid the slowdown of DRAM based internal video.  I expected this config
> to be honored when I went into NetBSD, but the 8/24 screen wasn't cleared
> and when I hooked up my monitor to the internal video out, I got nothing.
> Serial console confirms it boots into single user fine (saying
> rc.conf needs to be defined).  What's going on?

Since the internal video of the IIci shares memory with the rest of the
machine, if you turn off internal video or fail to hook up a monitor to
the monitor port the memory map chnages enough to confuse NetBSD.

This is a long standing bug and it's kind of tricky to fix the kernel
to work around it. However, making your machine work should be as easy
as putting a monitor adapter or rigging a paper-clip to make the machine
think there's a monitor on the internal video port. This, of course,
still gives you the DRAM video slow-down but it works.