Subject: /netbsd ppp0:packets too big
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: brian wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/1998 22:49:14
Hi!

Could someone help me with fixing the maximum transfer units allowable
for ppp? I'm not sure if  that's the problem tho. Exactly just what are
"packets"? Here's a little bit of the /var/log/messages file showing
some quirks:

http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/packets

I was reading the man pages the other day for ppp, pppd, and chap
regarding a bottle-neck i've been experiencing using the point-to-point
protocol. ppp0 is stating that the packets are too big. Too big ... so i
looked in /etc/ppp/options to see if maybe the mtu set at mtu 1500 is
too small of a setting. I tried changing it to mtu 3600 and then to
36000. Ya know, the error says the packets are too, big so just added
some more zeros thinking that may solve the problem. But the "packets
too big" messages keep appearing and are making the whole screen of
xterms go jittery. So i've been having to refresh often. Could it be
something else causing causing the problem?

And here is my /etc/ppp files that seem to be causing the bottleneck:

http://www.csulb.edu/~bwildasi/unix/netbsd/ppp.tar.Z

I was ftp'ing through my schools ip server that stocks some of my
webpages, and noticed it's a NeXT machine. Could i find some useful
setup files in the /etc directory on that machine?

Any help is appreciated!

Sincerely,

Brian Wildasinn
bwildasi@csulb.edu