Subject: Re: booting netbsd
To: None <shelby@fcps.org>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/22/1998 23:09:33
> This may have already been explained..  but I'm new at Mac's and couldn;t
> find it in a FAQ.
>
> Why dosn't the port have any real boot blocks?  or is there a even better
> reason for using MacOS to boot NetBSD up?

The truth: Nobody's gotten around to writing such a booter. :-) The higher
priority has been on getting as much hardware going as possible. We can
worry about other such esoteric things after we've conquered all the internal
hardware.

The other part of this story is that we use a tiny bit of info that the booter
grabs from MacOS. With a few mods to the kernel, though, we could be free
of those dependencies.

It should also be known that while writing such a booter is possible the ROMs
*require* that there be a MacOS-style partitioned drive (even if it's just
a floppy) with at least one bootable HFS partition on it. So if you're having
dreams of a system with just NetBSD style UFS paritions that boot right up
forget it. We don't have OpenFirmware like the PowerMacs. So you really
don't gain all that much over making a parition with a min system install
and the booter.

To tell you the truth I've been interested in such a project and it is my
estimation that the best solution would be to write a booter that would
be placed into a "fake" system file. The file and its prefs could be put
onto a single HFS partition. If we ever got a writable HFS the prefs could
be set from within the NetBSD thus giving us a truly MacOS-free system.
Such a project is actually quite tricky. You have to play directly with
the ROMs and what's in them can vary quite widely from machine to machine.
Take the SE/30 vs. the AV's. The SE/30 has all of about nothing in its ROMs
while the AV's have nearly all of MacOS in them (including some Quicktime!)

I've been busy with my Master's project and trying to implement a set of
real internal video drivers for NetBSD so don't expect a bootstrap booter
anytime soon. :)