Subject: It lives! It's... KDE
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/22/1998 18:41:21
Some background:  I've been following KDE since Beta1 and have been running
it on a Sparcstation at work.  I was happy to see it become a package, and
just had to try it out.  This is what I've found...

Building it.  It's fairly simple to do -- cd to /usr/pkgsrc/x11/kde and (with
appropriate privileges) make install.  Just a few minor problems though:

 - qt needs to be installed first, but the kde package doesn't depend on it.
 - I had to unlimit my shell's datasize to get at least one file to compile.
 - When kpanel ran, it would dump core.  Rebuilding it with -g stopped that.

Running it.  Also easy to do.  One would want to automate running it, but
this gets it going quickly:

  setenv KDEDIR /usr/X11R6
  xinit
  startkde

The result: beautiful.  But geez, it sure takes a lot of memory.  This is
what I'm running it on:

  C610 with full 68040, clocked to 28MHz
  68MB RAM, too much disk
  current NetBSD-current
  OSFA X server
  16-bit color

Aside from the initial failure of kpanel, I've not had any part of it
crash.  But then, I don't stress it all that much.  Speed is reasonable.
The only two anomalies I've encountered are I can't seem to turn off the
resize animation (rubberbanding; yes, I unchecked the box), and the counter
on my web page doesn't show up properly in kfm.  Oh, wah.  The rest of the
page shows OK, though.

In short, I'll keep it.  I might have to turn it off when compiling because
of memory shortages, but I still have 10MB free so it might not be too big
a problem. :)

~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819