Subject: Re: booting netbsd
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/22/1998 16:53:50
On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> shelby@fcps.org wrote:
> >
> > Why dosn't the port have any real boot blocks?  or is there a even better
> > reason for using MacOS to boot NetBSD up?
>
> There are a couple of reasons for a MacOS boot:  one is that I think that
> the ROM's look for the system file on an HFS volume, the second is that we
> use a lot of information about the machine given to us by MacOS during
> NetBSD boot.

A lot of information, like the memory mapping and configuration, video
mode(s) and frame buffer addreses, etc.  Stuff that we can't really get
any other (reasonable) way given the dearth of documentation that Apple
makes available.

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |