Subject: Re: Screen clobber fixed
To: None <gregdunn@indy.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/22/1998 01:07:56
On Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:27:59 -0500 (EST),
Greg Dunn <gregdunn@indy.net> wrote:

> And as a side note (didn't see this in the FAQ, but then it's not
> likely that your home NetBSD'er will run into this often.  It requires
> the ability to telnet in through the Ethernet port :) BSD's method

Actually, it doesn't require that ability.  A PPP link is enough.
I used to connect my Mac to the Net, leave home for school, and log
(telnet) into my Mac from school's X term.

> of preventing root from making a telnet connection to the system is
> to omit "secure" from the appropriate terminal line in /etc/ttys.  For
> example, all the telnet connections came in on /dev/ttyp* in my setup,
> so you have to add "secure" to any of the ttyp* terminal descriptions in
> /dev/ttys that are likely to see a connection.  The man pages are a
> bit obscure on this, though they have enough info to figure out how
> to do it, once you know what you need to do. :-)

This is, of course, not advisable.  You are making your system very
vulnerable to attacks from the Net.  The right way is to log in as a
normal user, then su to root.

Ken