Subject: Re: X color ugliness.
To: Mario Magliocco <Mario_Magliocco@broder.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/21/1998 17:02:00
Mario Magliocco wrote:
>      When I put my Quadra 800 into 1024 x 768 I can no longer achieve
>      thousands of colors (I think I have a bunch of vram).  When I try to
>      run the OSFA X server at 256 my colors are horrid.  I actually had to
>      change to greyscale to avoid a serious headache.  Is there a fix for
>      the ugly colors at 256?  This machine is almost perfect.  Thanks for
>      keeping this stuff going!!

At the moment, getting more VRAM or using a smaller resolution is the only
solution.  We don't have colormap changing support for internal video yet,
so the X server doesn't handle 8-bit CLUT type displays on internal video.
This is explained quite clearly in the README for the OSFA X server.

BTW, the reason why the colors are so psychedelic is that the X server is
simply using whatever color map was leftover from MacOS since it has no
way of changing the color map itself.

I hope this helps.

Later.