Subject: Re: vipw: file is busy
To: T Dale <dbag@tenet.edu>
From: Jean Marie <jm@altern.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/1998 16:44:22
>Just got NetBSD up and running on my Performa 575.  Tried to edit the
>password file with 'vipw' before I had any good references.  I'm not
>sure what happened, but now when I 'vipw' I get a msg that the file is
>busy.  I have reinstalled the etc tar file and still continue to get
>this msg.  Any suggestions.

I got NetBSD on my Quadra 700 recently too, and I think I can give you an
answer :
1) mount -u /
it will tell you that the file system is not marked as clean
so he can't proceed your request
2) fsck
he will ask you whether yoou want to mark your filesystem as clean or not.
3) mount -u /

So your file system will be mounted READ/WRITE, instead of READ ONLY,
as it is after booting.

Note : I'm an absolute newbie, and this solution may not be the best, but
it's
the only way I found to mount the filesystem READ/WRITE.

Jean.Marie Bernadet
jm@altern.org