Subject: Re: status of sounds (easc in particular)
To: None <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/1998 14:08:32
On Sun, 19 Apr 1998 23:54:04 -0400 (EDT),
mrz5149@cs.rit.edu (Michael R Zucca) wrote:
> > After that I plan to dig into getting /dev/audio to work on ASC and EASC
> > hardware (someone else will probably have to work on the AV's since I
> > believe they use the DSP for sound).
>
> Well, the DSP can be used to process sound but if I remember right I think
> the actual DAC chip is called the "Singer".

Yup, it's a nice little codec chip, ITT's ASCO 2300 (for some reason
known only to Apple, they decided to give it the nickname "Singer",
just like they did to NEC uPD72070 the nickname "NewAge").  You can
download the datasheet in PDF off of their web site (I have).

I think we need to set up DMA to feed the chip and to get feed from
the chip, which I really don't know how to do.  Even the MacOS driver
doesn't seems to follow the convention.  I don't find .Sound or some
such in MacsBug driver command output.

Later,

Ken