Subject: Re: error messages to screen under X
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Dunn <gregdunn@indy.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/19/1998 21:59:49
Colin wrote:

>Take a look at /var/log/messages to see what it is that sending stuff to
>your console.  I've found that 'xterm -C' doesn't work, but using xconsole
>_does_ work as of 1.3.  I'd suggest trying it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions...  I did try the FAQ first, but since
its "easy fixes" didn't cure the problem, I decided it was time for outside
help. Unfortunately, inetd seems to be writing somewhere else besides
/dev/console; perhaps directly to the screen?  It does write where the
xterm ought to be getting its text displayed, but overwrites windows, root
screen, etc. in black-on-white text of a similar size used by the non-X
console.  /var/log/messages has no mention of the error messages, but they
do show up in /var/log/authlog.  "Xconsole" doesn't even echo the messages,
but the front window xterm does -- even if it's not invoked with a "-C"!

Changing the targets in /etc/syslog.conf seems to make no difference -- I
even tried directing messages to a file, but it still dumps on the screen.
I looked in vain for the "options UCONSOLE" mentioned in the FAQ, but can't
find it in any of the expected places.

Am I still missing something?

--
| Greg Dunn                       | You can always tell bass players |
| gregdunn@indy.net               | because they have that... sultry |