Subject: Re: error messages to screen under X
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@lethargy.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/19/1998 22:46:01
> > I had the same problem and tryed to solve it buy redirecting them to
> > /dev/console but unfortunatelly I still cant get it to work. I get the
> > messages both on the xconsole and on the bottom of the screen, messing up
> > the other windows. Are there any other solutions?
>
> I think you're probably logged in as root.  Don't do that, and you
> won't get the syslog message directed to root's tty.
>
> However, you can still get other messages on /dev/console or
> /dev/ite0, but you can "refresh" the screen when that happens.  There
> is usually "Refresh" in the window manager pop-up menus.
>
> Also, by clearing the screen just before starting X, you can *delay*
> the scrolling up that messes up the screen.

on my system, i made xconsole invoked by xinit (by putting a line in
~/.xinitrc) which redirected all the console messages to a nice little
window on the screen.  i'm not sure what i did to get it working, but I
put xconsole in my xinitrc, as I said, awhile ago when i used twm & fvwm,
and an xconsole line in the steprc for afterstep. both ways seem to work
fine. i didn't have to change /etc/syslogd.conf at all.  i also found out
that just regularly running xconsole once the xserver and xterms are up
does not solve the problem..it needs to be invoked by xinit or the wm (i'm
guessing at this, just from what i've seen).
"if it doesn't seem broken, don't fix it" - i haven't tried to figure out
why this happens... :)
good luck,
  - a