Subject: Re: sniffit package
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1998 17:23:18
SamMaEl wrote:

> 	Last night I installed the sniffer package from the package sets,
> and it wasn't exactly "out of the box" ;-) I ended up having to add the
> following to sn_data.h to get it to compile.

[snip]

> 	I also had to #define mac68k in the Makefile, as nothing defined
> it. I'm assuming that mac68k isn't/wasn't one of the supported
> architectures. i386, sparc and amiga had their own #elif's, and I assume
> the ETH_DEV is the device names for the ethernet interface, and ETH_DEV_NR
> refers to how many different devices are possible. It compiled after I
> added those 3 lines and fixed the Makefile though...

not every package supports all architectures.  most packages come from
FreeBSD, so we know that they work on i386 :-)  since the package
maintainers don't have access to mac68k machines (as far as i know), they
can't always guarantee that a machine-dependent package will work on a
particular architecture.

> 	I haven't had a chance to test it so I don't know how well it
> works yet. Is anyone aware of this problem?

i'm sure the package maintainers would like to know about it.  please send
in your patches via send-pr or the send-pr web page.

thanks!