Subject: Re: SE/30 is more (less) fun than previously thought
To: Wayne Chang <wcx@earthlink.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1998 12:18:08
Wayne Chang wrote:
> Okay, I got the sbin thing working. Sort of. Actually, I tried it, then when I (successfully) shutdown and/or rebooted, I got the infamous 32-bit dirty machine lockup.

Hmmmmm.....line wrap?

> I got the HWDIRECT version of kernel 1.3. Does 1.3.1 include fixes for IIcx/SE30/IIx boot and shutdown problems? And zip drive support? I know generic SBC kernels do zip drives.

Since we still don't quite know what causes the spontaneous lockups on
some machines at shutdown, 1.3.1 doesn't necessarily contain the "fix" for
it, but since kernel size seems to affect this condition, the fact that
the 1.3.1 kernel is not the same as the 1.3 kernel might allow you to
avoid the problem.

As for Zip drives, well, none of the NetBSD/mac68k SCSI drivers work 100%
with removable media on all machines, but there should be an SBC version
of the 1.3.1 kernel available in the distribution directory.

Later.