Subject: Re: sbin files no longer work?
To: Wayne Chang <wcx@earthlink.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1998 02:28:06
On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Wayne Chang wrote:

> I'm running 1.3 on an se30, and for some reason NONE of my
> sbin/ programs work. For example, I type "shutdown" and the
> shell returns an error message saying "command not found."
>
> These commands work in single-user mode, but in multiuser
> mode they do not.

Actually, "shutdown" _is designed for_ multi-user. It notifies all users,
waits for a certain period of time, and then does a halt or reboot.  It's
even suid root, so that anyone with "operator" group privileges can shut
down the system. "halt" and "reboot" are the commands you're not supposed
to use when multi-user.

Now, it sounds like /sbin isn't in you're path. Try `echo $PATH', to see.
You might have to edit your .cshrc, .profile, whatever, depending on what
shell you're using. `/sbin/shutdown' should work, in any case. If you get
"permission denied", that would be because you don't have operator
privilege. Add your login name to the end of the line in /etc/group that
starts with "operator."