Subject: Re: Shutdown Error
To: Maurice Hason <macpro@shani.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/16/1998 06:50:31
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Maurice Hason wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When rebooting or shutting down I get the following error:
>
> "NetBSD/mac68k does not trust himself enough to update the RTC on shutdown"
>
> Can anyone please shortly explain what does it means and how to fix it?

Easy:  the Mac is a very poor time-keeper, based on the way the hardware
is designed.  Many (most) other events in the system have higher
priority than the clock interrupt, so NetBSD/Mac68k tends to lose many
clock interrupts.  It would therefore be a "Bad Thing" (not TM) for us
to reset the Real Time Clock (RTC) that keeps track of "number of
seconds elapsed from some base time" since we're likely to be off by a
potentially large number.

You can't turn off the message, but it doesn't hurt anything.

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |