Subject: Re: Installer proposal...
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1998 11:32:01
Michael G. Schabert wrote:
> >:-)  Of course, what happens to the poor schmuck in Antarctica who
> >installs NetBSD on his machine and finds that he can't find the
> >appropriate timezone files?
>
> But _why_ do we need so many darn files when there are exactly 24 time
> zones????? Even if we had 24 "regular" and 24 "DST" it would be much easier.

You would think that there are only 24 timezones, but there aren't.  Due
to the brilliance of local governments, there are quite a few oddities out
there.  For example, in the US, I don't think that Arizona obeys DST, so
it needs a separate one.  All of Russia is one hour behind normal
timezones IIRC.  There are a number of other little exceptions here and
there :-)

So, they are necessary.

Later.