Subject: Fetchmail (unknown error 4294967295)
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1998 11:23:24
Dave Huang wrote:

> I think you can
>get the same effect by looking for a line that starts with "DM" in your
>/etc/sendmail.cf and changing it to
>
>DMumbsky.cc.umb.edu

Yeah, it worked.  Mail & Elm now use my ISPs name in the return address.

Now for the next question.  As  method of mail retrieval, I've seen
'fetchmail' recommended by several people.  I downloaded the binary from
Makr Andres' web site (I think it was Mark's web site).     Running into a
snag that I don't see addressed in the man page or the Fetchmail FAQ.  Not
running it in daemon mode.  Verbose output shows that:

1) Fetchmail opens a connection to my ISP (POP3).
2) Sends Username.  Username is accepted.
3) Sends password.  Password is accepted.
4) Sees new mail.
5) Begins to read new mail.  Stops with the following error:

SMTP connect to localhost failed:unknown error 4294967295
SMTP transaction error while fetching from umbsky.cc.umb.edu:unknown error
4294967295.

The mail is marked as read, but left on the server (I have fetchmail
configured to delete mail after fetching).

My ISP's POP log lists:

s: [text message sent but not displayed.]<CR><LF>
s: .<CR><LF>
c: QUIT<CR><LF>
s: +OK POP3 MultiNet gemini.cc.umb.edu Server exiting asynchronously<CR><LF>
  REVILAK      job terminated at 13-APR-1998 17:16:50.34

at the point where the error occured.

I wasn't able to capture the screen output from 'fetchmail -v' to a file.

Anybody run into this before?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu