Subject: DNS & Reply-To's
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/10/1998 00:19:21
Kudos to Rob Nestor and Mark Andres, for their very helpful PPP HowTo's.
Now that I've got this up and working, there's one little bug I've yet to
iron out.  A clear answer in the manpages has eluded me....I'm stumped.
Let me pass this out to the masses.  The problem concerns mail--

Sending mail (composed with 'mail', spooled manually with 'sendmail -q')
through my ISP is not a problem...gets to the desired recipients.  However
in the From/Reply-To field Mail uses:

myname@machine-name-as-listed-in-rcconf  (ie  "revilak@me"),

where I would rather it use:

nyname@domain.name.of.my.isp  (ie "revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu")

Changing the host entry in rc.conf seems like a bad idea.  Is this a DNS
resolution issue or a mail configuration issue.   Tips for where to start.
My machine is in a 'stand-alone' configuration (ie--no other computers on
the local network.  Just an ISP connection through a modem) .I am not using
a 'hosts' file.

I know you're all thinking that 'this guy dropped the ball....'  Anybody
see where it rolled off to? :-)

Thanks much in advance.

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu