Subject: Re: ethernet problem...
To: John Matney <John.Matney@oberlin.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/1998 18:17:13
John Matney wrote:

> I recently reinstalled NetBSD 1.3 after making more room on my HD for it
> (230 MB). I have a Mac IIvx, and have no problems getting the filesystem
> up. This time when I configured my ethernet settings however I cannot get
> it to work.
>
> I have made the following changes:
>
> etc/hosts
>
> 	127.0.0.1 localhost localhost resnet.oberlin.edu
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
get rid of that!  you don't need anything other than localhost on the
loopback interface

> 	#
> 	# my machine
> 	132.162.225.78 RN1722 RN1722.resnet.oberlin.edu
>
> etc/ifconfig.ae0
>
> 	inet RN1722 netmask 255.255.0.0
>
> etc/rc.conf
>
> 	hostname="RN1722"
> 	defaultroute="132.162.33.1"
>
> etc/resov.conf
>
> 	search oberlin.edu
> 	nameserver 132.162.32.243

The rest looks fine as far as I can tell.

> I believe that this all I have to do according to the HOWTO. My ethernet
> card is a Farallon EtherMac II (or something like that). NetBSD is giving
> me the following error when it detects the card:
>
> 	warning:ae0:reciever ring buffer overrun

This usually means that you're receiving packets faster than the machine
can service them.  Are you on a busy ethernet?

> Does anyone see something that I don't? that I forgot? It worked just the
> other day :( All i wanted to do was give NetBSd more space. Oi the
> Macintosh gods must be out to get me :)

If the above note doesn't fix it, you got me....perhaps something is
spewing at you on the local ethernet.

Later.