Subject: Re: IDE Support & How to find the base address ?
To: Gwenole Beauchesne <gwenole.beauchesne@iname.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/1998 15:26:21
> Unfortunately, I am not so sure I could do that (never compiled kernels
> before, lack of experience in the devleopment of such projects, and so
> on...).

Well, if the IDE on the Macs is truly similar to that of the PC's, Atari's,
and Amigas, then doing a driver for mac68k should as "easy" as taking the
IDE driver rom one of the other ports and tweaking it to work for the
Macs. No need to write it from the ground up.

Sound familar? That's how we got the esp driver for the Quadras. Allen
ported the esp driver from the Suns.

> working ide driver, how could we use  the { install, booter } programs
> with ide disks since they only support scsi for now (?).

This is a very legitmate concern. However, what we could do to start work
on the driver would be to boot off a SCSI drive and mount an IDE drive
to test. Eventually, though, the installer and booter would have to be
re-written to handle IDE as well.