Subject: Re: Sluggishness (not just slow)
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1998 21:33:35
I noticed something similar recently, after setting up a private net.
It turned out that things like sendmail were trying to do a reverse DNS
lookup on my private net, which I had conveniently forgotten to set up.
So it would wait for 10 to 15 seconds on each of 5 retries waiting to
resolve 1.1.16.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA before giving up on it.

Try setting up a reverse-DNS lookup data base, similar to the standard
one that comes in the distribution for 127.IN-ADDR.ARPA

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Amitai Schlair wrote:

> I've been having a great time learning UNIX and administration for the
> past few months with NetBSD 1.3. As of late, though, things have been
> getting kind of flaky.
>
> A couple weeks ago, I noticed that it was starting to take an unusual
> while (30 seconds and up, sometimes several minutes) to access services
> that require authentication (like telnet and qpopper). Sometimes, I
> can't access anything at all; even httpd and the rest take a seat!
> (IPFilter never has trouble, fortunately, else I might have no way of
> sending this message!) As you might suppose, I'm somewhat perturbed by
> this behavior, as the only change I can recall making to the system is
> the addition of an entry for a machine on my private net in /etc/hosts.
>
> I looked through /etc/gettytab, /etc/ttys, and /etc/inetd.conf, and
> found nothing amiss. Any ideas where the silliness might be originating?
>
> - Amitai
>
> --
> Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions
> at all.
>      -- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |