Subject: Sluggishness (not just slow)
To: NetBSD Mac <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1998 21:54:50
I've been having a great time learning UNIX and administration for the
past few months with NetBSD 1.3. As of late, though, things have been
getting kind of flaky.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed that it was starting to take an unusual
while (30 seconds and up, sometimes several minutes) to access services
that require authentication (like telnet and qpopper). Sometimes, I
can't access anything at all; even httpd and the rest take a seat!
(IPFilter never has trouble, fortunately, else I might have no way of
sending this message!) As you might suppose, I'm somewhat perturbed by
this behavior, as the only change I can recall making to the system is
the addition of an entry for a machine on my private net in /etc/hosts.

I looked through /etc/gettytab, /etc/ttys, and /etc/inetd.conf, and
found nothing amiss. Any ideas where the silliness might be originating?

- Amitai

--
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions
at all.