Subject: Re: macbsd floppy driver, was "Re: "
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/1998 14:05:02
> >notice that the real identity of the New Age chip is an NEC uPD72070,
> >a variation of uPD765.  Surprise?  I called NEC's local branch here
     ^^^^^^^^^
> But - how in all the world do they do GCR?!

The chip either can do GCR or it allows the kind of low level fiddling that
the engineers at Apple like to do.

The the AV's called the chip the "SWIM II" if I recall. The SWIM III is the
one used in the PowerMacs and that's a fully DMA'd chip.

Wish we had docs for the regular SWIM controller. Although, I've found Apple's
assembly to be fairly readable. You might want to take a look at the drivers
in the bootstrap parts of the ROMs. They tend to be a little less cluttered
than the regular drivers.

Good luck!