Subject: Re: Netscape
To: None <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1998 17:40:24
Ken Nakata wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 1998 20:02:33 +0200,
> Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE> wrote:
> >
> > You realize there is a working JDK 1.1.5 port to NetBSD/i386 (based on
> > lesstif)? The portmaster told me it shouldn't be too difficult to port it
> > to other architectures, although it won't be really fast on, say, a IIsi...
>
> No, I didn't know that.  Sounds interesting.  But Java support is only
> one of the things that are missing from the source release though I
> don't know exactly what they are...

The other stuff is apparently security-related code, QuickTime, and
probably just about everything else listed on the "about:" URL page (i.e.
all the 3rd party code). There is actually a FAQ about why none of the
crypto-code is in there.  I don't think we're missing out on any major
functionality (well, nothing I would consider major functionality,
anyway).

Later.