Subject: Re: Sendmail
To: None <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1998 09:08:53
On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Ken Nakata wrote:

> There are many mail user agents (MUAs) that can retrieve messages via
> POP3, such as pine [1].  I believe pine can also be configured to make
> SMTP connection to any server given (e.g. mailhost.worldnet.att.net)
> which makes it unnecessary for you to configure sendmail at all.
> Tweaking /etc/sendmail.cf isn't anything herculean but not much fun,
> either.
>
> I myself use fetchmail [2] to collect the mail from my ISP's and
> Rutgers' POP servers (have a cron job to do this a few times a day),
> and my MUA (Mew 1.92 [3] on Emacs 20.2) makes a connection to my ISP's
> SMTP server each time a message goes out.  I could queue the outgoing
> messages and flush the queue a few times a day, but I'm too satisfied
> with the current configuration and lazy to change it (I see some flaws
> but not serious enough to go through trouble of changing it).
>
> Ken
>
> [1] Pine is available as a NetBSD package.
>
> [2] The latest source is available at the author's web site:
> 	http://earthspace.net/~esr/fetchmail/fetchmail-4.4.1.tar.gz
> A precompiled binary for NetBSD/m68k is also available from Mark
> Andres' web site:
> 	http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/
>
> [3] The Mew homepage is at http://www.mew.org/.

fetchmail is also available as a package. It's at 4.3.9, which is good
enough for me. I have both pine and fetchmail configured to use smtp on my
NetBSD machine, then `sendmail -q' in several places in my ppp scripts.
This only works because my ISP is U*nix friendly; that is, they provide a
static ip, and routing from within their subnet. I don't know if AT&T does
that, but it couldn't hurt to ask.