Subject: Re: Netscape
To: None <smirks@mail.eclipse.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@echna.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1998 15:52:06
On Tue, 31 Mar 1998 00:24:41 -0500 (EST),
Chris <smirks@mail.eclipse.net> wrote:
> Well, with tomorow being March 31, the source of Netscape Communicator 5
> is suposed to be released as everyone probably knows.
>
> My question is, does anyone in the NetBSD/mac68k community have plans to
> port it? If so, how long of a wait do you think it'll be before we can
> all use netscape?

Hmm, I was under the impression that they were going to release only
part of their Communicator 5 source because of the licensed software
used in the full Communiator (like Java, for instance).  So,
technically, the product whose source is being released won't be
Communicator.

But I'm more concerned how we will fill the gap made by the missing
parts.  I don't think it will be too hard to trick it into believing
we are either BSD/OS or FreeBSD when building, so if it compiles out
of the box on the platforms already supported by the past versions, we
may be in luck.  Of course, even then, Java applet support and some
other functionalities will be missing, though.

Even if so, I'd like to have a decent GUI web brower on NetBSD.  It'll
eliminate another reason for me to reboot the box to get MacOS.

Ken