Subject: Re: Sendmail
To: None <iteration@worldnet.att.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@echna.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1998 15:27:13
On Mon, 30 Mar 1998 17:57:46 -0000,
Bobby Cox <iteration@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Ok, I'm back.  Getting sick of me yet?  I am on AT&T WorldNet and would
> like to be able to recieve and send mail through them.  My info is like
> this:
>
> iteration@worldnet.att.net
> GET email:  postoffice.worldnet.att.net
> SEND email: mailhost.worldnet.att.net

Sendmail alone can't do all this.  You'll need something that talks
POP3 (or POP2, APOP, RPOP, or IMAP but POP3 is more likely than the
others).

There are many mail user agents (MUAs) that can retrieve messages via
POP3, such as pine [1].  I believe pine can also be configured to make
SMTP connection to any server given (e.g. mailhost.worldnet.att.net)
which makes it unnecessary for you to configure sendmail at all.
Tweaking /etc/sendmail.cf isn't anything herculean but not much fun,
either.

I myself use fetchmail [2] to collect the mail from my ISP's and
Rutgers' POP servers (have a cron job to do this a few times a day),
and my MUA (Mew 1.92 [3] on Emacs 20.2) makes a connection to my ISP's
SMTP server each time a message goes out.  I could queue the outgoing
messages and flush the queue a few times a day, but I'm too satisfied
with the current configuration and lazy to change it (I see some flaws
but not serious enough to go through trouble of changing it).

Ken

[1] Pine is available as a NetBSD package.

[2] The latest source is available at the author's web site:
	http://earthspace.net/~esr/fetchmail/fetchmail-4.4.1.tar.gz
A precompiled binary for NetBSD/m68k is also available from Mark
Andres' web site:
	http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/

[3] The Mew homepage is at http://www.mew.org/.