Subject: None
To: None <ehsmswg@aom.ericsson.se>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@echna.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/31/1998 09:53:12
On Tue, 31 Mar 1998 02:27:35 +0200,
ehsmswg@aom.ericsson.se (Mats Erik WENNEBERG EHS/GR) wrote:
> 2) Has anybody a X-binary that works with 4-bit grays (16colors)
> on a 640x870. I tried with some SLOTMAN kernels but as I understood
> it is only compiled for 24bit (256colors/grays). It boots on my
> machine but only in B/W. Does it exists out there something for 4bit gray?

SLOTMAN supports any bit depth (BTW, 24-bit mode is 1.6 million
colors, not 256 colors/grays).  But I know at least one other person
who has had trouble (and given up on) getting SLOTMAN kernel to boot
with the Apple Portlait video card.  I suspect the problem is some
peculiarity of the video card hardware.  The card reportedly doesn't
even work with my OSFA server.

> 3) I have used up my bootdisk of 96MB (ZIP) and another 70MB on the
> harddisk of the Mac. Unix really uses diskspace.... Does it exist
> some Internal Compressor for Unix as the one i use for MacOs????

What is "Internal Compressor"?  You mean compressed file systems like
DiskDoubler and DblSpace?  If so, no, there's no such thing on NetBSD.

> 4) Does it exist some support for the diskett drive yet?

Hauke Fath has succeeded to make an LKM-ized floppy driver that reads
and writes 800k diskettes.  The real problem is that we don't have any
technical documentation on the controller chip (SWIM).  The Mac Linux
people seem to be much more active on working to support 1.4M
diskettes, so we might be able to use their work when they succeed.

The AV Macs use a different type of controller chip which is similar
to the ones used in Intel PCs.  I'm hoping to get the datasheet so I
can write a driver for it, but it's not going to work for the non-AV
Macs...

Ken