Subject: Re: Quadra800 internal color. . Am I the only one?
To: Mario Magliocco <Mario_Magliocco@broder.com>
From: None <cruller@unicom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1998 09:46:38
> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 10:41:06 -0800
> From: Mario_Magliocco@broder.com (Mario Magliocco)
> Subject: Quadra800 internal color. . Am I the only one?
>
>      As I posted before, when I run internal color X on my Quadra 800 using
>      the OSFA server, the display wraps around the left side of the monitor
>      to the right side.  I was informed that this is a problem in the
>      kernel and it has the base address for the frame buffer wrong, or
>      something like that (don't you envy my technical prowess?).  Well
>      anyhow, I was reading other people's posts and I noticed that other
>      people with Quadra 800s were raving about their new found color
>      internal X.
>      Well I want to know if I am the only one who is hampered by this bug.
>      Does it have something to do with my vram configuration?  If you have
>      any info about running internal color x on a Q800, let me know, I
>      would really like to use this as a desktop machine instead of just a
>      server.
>                         Thanks alot
>
>                                 mario magliocco

I am running Color X with the OSFA xserver.  I have not experienced the
problems you mention.

What binary distribution are you running.

What kernel are you running.

Did you upgrade your system from 1.2.1 ->1.3 or 1.3.1?

What size monitor are you using?

What resolution are you running?

What bit depth are you using?

My configuation is as follows:
Q800 24/200-root/250-usr/40-swap/50 MacOS
1.3 binaries installed from scratch.
The Wormspace generic kernel #61
ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/eskimo.copy/kernels/netbsd.WORMSPACE-62.tar.gz

Apple 16" RGB Trinitron Monitor @ 832 x 624 in 16 bits/pixel.

Here is a screen shot for inspiration http://home.unicom.net/~cruller/

If you only have 512k(8bit) of internal vram  you'll want to switch to
256 shades of grey(color is butt-fugly in 8 bit) in the booter under
monitor options( check the box that says switch resolution upon boot).
The kernel was the hardest piece of the puzzle.  I tried to compile my
own kernel but wasn't very successful.  The generic stuff that came with
1.3 didn't give me the "grf0 at intvid0" line and thus wouldn't run X.
And the Slotman stuff wouldn't even boot on My box(with a video card of
course)looks like wormspace kernel is at #62 now probably to sync with
current or 1.3.1?  All this is from memory, I just moved and don't have
my office put together yet, so YMMV.

Good Luck

Gerald