Subject: Re: how to transfer files from term connected pc
To: None <corbett@mtn.org>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/1998 10:25:57
In message <351D0EEF.26B5@mtn.org>, Peter Corbett writes:
>Hello.
>
>Ken Nakata wrote:
>
>I'd think that you could set up dial-up networking for a serial cable
>from the PC to the Mac, and use 'pppd tty00 38400 passive
>198.174.0.1:198.174.0.2' (or some ip numbers, as desired). The problem:
>Win95 insists on having a phone number to dial, so it doesn't work.
>Ideas?

I should be shot for even suggesting this, but here goes:  Can you have
the mac set for a normal tty login over the serial port, make an
account with a user name like "atdt1234" and default shell /usr/sbin/pppd?

I know if it could even be made to work it would be a huge kludge, but
then again it is win95.  I too have been frustrated at times with its
inflexibility.  Ever try turning on ethernet and a dialup at the same
time?

Good luck

Dan