Subject: Re: libpcap and AppleTalk packets
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/27/1998 14:28:38
Monroe Williams wrote:
> At 9:51 AM -0800 3/27/98, Colin Wood wrote:
> >Monroe Williams wrote:
> >> The current implementation of the packet filtering keyword 'atalk' in
> >> libpcap just doesn't work.  I've fixed my local copy of libpcap so that
> >> 'tcpdump atalk' actually dumps only AppleTalk packets (and perhaps more
> >> important to some people, 'tcpdump not atalk' dumps everything _but_
> >> AppleTalk packets ;).  How would I go about submitting this change?
> >
> >Submit a change request PR, preferably via send-pr on your netbsd box
> >since I don't think that pasting into the web interface works all that
> >well for patch files.  (Oh, I guess you need to generate a diff between
> >the original sources and your changes and submit that :-)
>
> What's the best variant of 'diff' for this?  (I haven't done much patch
> generation, so a command line example would be good.)

I usually use -c for a context diff, but a lot of people use -u (I think
it gives more compact diffs).  Anyway, to do a diff, you give the original
version of the file followed by the modified version:

diff -c  filename.orig filename

I generally try to avoid having full pathnames in the diff since patch
will sometimes barf if it can't find the proper paths.

If you keep your stuff under CVS, it's even easier:

cvs diff -c

will give you the diffs for a whole directory.

Let me know if you need anything more.

Later.