Subject: Re: Annoying little problem
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/26/1998 14:30:10
On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> I know it's a pain on the first install or when you want to do a lot in
> single-user mode, but having only / mounted (and r/o at that) is a GOOD
> thing when something's sick on the disk.
>
> I've taken to not doing split root and /usr anymore. ;-)

	In case anyone doesn't know why a split root/usr can be a good
	idea - if something totally hoses your /usr partition you can
	still boot single user to fix things as all the binaries in
	/ are statically linked.

	From single user to edit a file
	    With a single / & /usr you need to:
		fsck ; mount /
	    Will a separate / & usr you need to:
		fsck ; mount -va

	Its not too much more work :)

	(I set the TERM variable in my /.profile to make things easier :)

		David/absolute

               The truth of a proposition has nothing to do
                  with its credibility.  And vice versa.