Subject: Re: Is it possible to just build the kernel?
To: None <jsmith@mcs.drexel.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@echna.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/26/1998 23:45:11
On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:23:54 -0500,
"Justin R. Smith" <jsmith@mcs.drexel.edu> wrote:
> The subject line says it all. I'd like to play with building
> kernels without having to build all the rest of the system.
> If it's possible, how much disk space is needed?

Yes, it is possible.  All you need to update when building a kernel
are /usr/src/sys, /usr/src/usr.bin/config, and /usr/src/usr.bin/make.
The last two are not always but it's a good idea to update these when
you get a compile error or two while building a kernel.

/usr/src/sys takes slightly less than 55M on my system, including the
object files and the kernel file itself.  As for how to build your own
kernel, I'm pretty sure it's covered by one of Colin's How-to docs on
www.macbsd.com (which are also on www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k).

Ken