Subject: Re: Mail from 'Dave Huang' hangs my Mail system.
To: Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@wavefront.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/26/1998 02:58:00
On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 9:20 PM, Roger Fischer <mailto:roger@badger1.net>
wrote:
> Am I the only person having this problem?
> When I'm checking my e-mail, it will suddenely hang.  Mail stops
> transfering and Eudora times out.
>
> I am fortunate enough to have a shell account on my ISP's mail
machine.  I
> log in, and run PINE, and dig through the message list.  inevitably,
it's a
> message from Dave Huang (khym@bga.com).  If I mark that message as
> deleted,
> exit, and return to Eudora, it will get the rest of the messages.
This
> happens with EVERY message I have gotten from Dave Huang on this
mailing
> list.
>
> Does anybody know why this would happen?  Why only his mail?  Am I
the
> only
> one?
> Please help.
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

-------------------------Begin reply----------------------------
Your not alone, it's called in-stream encoding, (Like XON-XOFF flow
control)
"AT" (Hayes=AE) commands are delivered to the mode with data to be
processed.
BA.

----

Next ---------------------------------------------------
> <brucea@wavefront.com>
> I figured out what is wrong with my mail.
> The problem is with "+" ASCII 0x2B ( decimal 43) getting intercepted
by the
> modem as AT commands in the IO stream. Without SLIP/PPP escaping "+"
the
> modems enter command mode.
> I tested this by sending mail with a valid AT command in the body of
the
> message.
> (turned my speeker on and off)
> This block of text stops my mail: note my strategic placement of
"\".
> >Dahan: Hani G
> >Y+C 21 Y++ L+\++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+\++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++
>
> Can you fix this at your end?   I can't pass any options to ppp from
MacOS.

Sorry, but I can't filter for this string in the mail handling on our
server.  THe mail program doesn't do anything with the text of the
messages, it only processes the header records to determine who the
message
is from and to.

You should be able to set your modem escape sequence to some other
character, or maybe disable it entirely.
------
/craig
---

Next ---------------------------------------------------
> <brucea@wavefront.com>
> I received some mail I am unable to down load.
> Please Take a look at file ~brucea/public_html/craig_read_me
> and see if you can find a problem.

I looked at it.  I have talked to my modem manufacturer and we will
adjust
some settings to see if it makes a difference.  Even though the modems
are
not supposed to be sensitive to the + + + sequence, they may be.

Please try getting your mail via the 649-1042 set of modems.

Let me know if you can download that message.

Thanks,
------
/craig

---

Next ---------------------------------------------------
> <brucea@wavefront.com>
>  That did the trick.  I can now cat and read the file under MacOS
and
> Linux.
>
> What did you do?
>

>      . .  I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape
*somewhere*!

It appears that some of our modems are sensitive to a '+ + +' string
of
characters, even though they are not supposed to be.  I have
reprogrammed
some of them to try to get around the problem.

It looks like the reprogramming works, so we will do it to all of the
modems.

------
/craig