Subject: Re: Annoying little problem
To: Jym & Sharon Brittain <boleyhs@brightok.net>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/25/1998 23:30:49
On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Jym & Sharon Brittain wrote:

>I have followed the procedure for installation listed on both the MacBSD
>page and that which came with the 1.3 version. When I go to boot in
>single user mode to edit rc.conf, I get vi: vi not found. This happens
>with EVERY command when I use a seperate partition for /usr. Anyone else
>experience similar problems and have a solution? If I use a joint /root &
>usr partition it works fine.

The problem is that vi and all the other programs that you are trying that
don't work live on the /usr partition which is not mounted in single user
mode.  Thus you can't run them.  You will need to mount /usr and you will
also need to mark the root partition as writeable since it is mounted
read only in single user mode.

do a mount /usr (assuming your /etc/fstab is correct) to mount /usr
and a mount -u -w / to make / writeable.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com
My home page