Subject: Re: xntpd doesn't do its thing
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/25/1998 18:30:36
At 6:03 PM -0800 3/25/98, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>Ummmm, ntp is saying loud and clear that it's in trouble.
>You just need to know how to interpret its wails.;)

Most daemons will either crash or give you a syslog message to indicate a
problem.  I get neither.

I agree that all the loop parameters are out of whack, but the main status
flags all read OK.  The loop *thinks* it's synched up and it's not asking
for help.

You have to make a specific query with ntpq with expert knowledge of what
all those parameters mean in order to even determine that a problem exists
at all.  (Or else you have to wait a few days and type date on two machines
at the same time and see that the answers are 2 minutes off like I did.)