Subject: Re: Kernels hanging at ttyflags during boot
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/25/1998 19:21:00
On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > Dave Huang has been looking at my other crashes and some of his own and
> > speculates that the DMA may not be disabled during boot, just the DMA
> > completion interrupt.  If there is a problem like that around then who
> > knows what failures we should expect to see.
>
> Ick. Then we will definitly loose. :-(

Yeah, from what I've been able to gather, the problem occurs within the
booter, in copycode()... copycode turns off interrupts then copies the
kernel from wherever it was loaded down to address 0. Unfortunately, if
stuff happens to be DMA'd to that area (from the ethernet or sound
chip, for example), it'll cause portions of the kernel to be
overwritten. So, I'm trying to figure out how to stop DMA, but I haven't
had any luck yet.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++