Subject: Re: Annoying little problem
To: Jym & Sharon Brittain <boleyhs@brightok.net>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/25/1998 12:53:40
In message <199803251743.LAA26573@cowboy.brightok.net>, Jym & Sharon Brittain writes:
>I have followed the procedure for installation listed on both the MacBSD
>page and that which came with the 1.3 version. When I go to boot in
>single user mode to edit rc.conf, I get vi: vi not found. This happens
>with EVERY command when I use a seperate partition for /usr. Anyone else
>experience similar problems and have a solution? If I use a joint /root &
>usr partition it works fine.

My guess is that /usr isn't mounted when you boot single user.  do

mount

to see whats mounted

you'll probably see something like

root_device on / type ffs (local, read-only)

then if you do a

mount -a

and

mount

you should see the file systems listed in /etc/fstab shown
as being mounted.  If you don't have /etc/fstab setup right, you
can do something like

mount /dev/sd0d /usr

where you need to replace "sd0d" with your /usr partition.

Good luck,

Dan