Subject: Re: Can you change your Root SCSI ID?
To: Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1998 23:54:28
Roger Fischer wrote:

> >>Those are the only 2 things you should have to change.
> >>Make sure that you update your /etc/fstab before you boot multi-user.
> >
> Thanks for the info.  I have no problems on the MacOS side.  I guess I was
> more concerned about the NetBSD side, where it name your disks according
> to, not the scsi id, but the number of scsi id's in the chain.

This is actually a good thing, even if it does confuse people :-)  It
makes supporting things like multiple SCSI chains much easier.

> Currently, with a drive at scsi id 0, the MacOS disk is /dev/sd0x and my
> NetBSD disk is /dev/sd1x.  Once the internal drive is gone, my NetBSD disk
> will become /dev/sd0x since there are no other drives on the chain.
>
> I guess that the procedure would be to move the drive, boot into single
> user, edit the /etc/fstab file then boot to multi-user?  Am I missing
> anything?
> When I boot single user, do I have to remount the root filesystem as R/W
> before I can edit the /etc/fstab?

Actually, since nothing reads /etc/fstab one you've booted, I would just
edit it as the last thing you do before you move the drive.  That way, you
don't have to worry about mounting root in single-user or anything like
that.  If you do move it first, tho, yes, you will have to do a

mount -u /

or the like to be able to edit /etc/fstab.

Later.