Subject: Can someone help this guy with an Ethernet Driver
To: Bert Koster <aweka@xs4all.nl>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1998 17:57:44
Hey people!!!  Anyone feel like helping this guy?

At 2:33 PM -0800 3/24/98, Bert Koster wrote:

>>>can anybody tell me what's going wrong here? Do I have to compile another
>>>driver into the kernel, and ifso how do I go about this????
>>>
>>Probably don't need a new driver, at least if you do then it probably
>>doesn't exist.
>>
>>Do these Apple cards have 68000's on them?  If so you're probably SOL.
>>
>>What's the part number of the biggest chip on the cards.  Maybe we can
>>help, maybe not.
>

>As prommised, there is no 68000 on them, and the biggest chip seems to be
>a square chip (about 2cm x 2cm). On it are the following numbers:
>
>-------------
>S9120 C4
>DP 83932BVF
>1447B
>-------------
>At the feet of this chip is the word SONIC...

I can't get in to check, but I think that is a SONIC chip, not an 8390, so
it should use the sn# driver.

>So, what now.....

Well now you say if you are willing to build custom kernels and you ask the
list for help.  If you can get a copy of the sys tarball and find the sonic
ethernet driver code and figure out how to patch it for a new card then you
don't need help.

The first step is to get a program called slots from www.macbsd.com and
dump some info about the memory layout of your card.  But the real first
step is to see if anyone who understands the sonic ethernet driver is
willing to help you.