Subject: Re: Kernel panic
To: Eric B. Krauss <ebkrauss@ls.wustl.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1998 16:46:34
Eric B. Krauss wrote:

> > As for /etc/rc.conf, I suspect you are booting in single-user mode in
> > which the root filesystem is mounted read-only by default.  Do:
> >
> > mount -u /
> >
> > to remount root fs read-write.
>
> I tried that and it changed nothing.  I still get "permission denied" when I
> try to edit /etc/rc.conf.

What are you using to edit /etc/rc.conf?  What is the exact error message
you are getting?  What is the exact command you are typing?

> I get denied permission whether I select single user or not from the booter.

Have you seen the login prompt yet?

> Also, if I try to ype "su," I always get "su: not found."

Ummmm...are you sure you installed everthing?  I thought that "su" was in
/bin, but I could be wrong...

> So, all I have is a "#" which I can't do anything from.

If you've got that prompt, you should be root at the time.  Is this the
single-user prompt?  Have you seen any messages about starting the
network, starting daemons, or building database, etc?

> I checked the FAQ, but it hasn't help me because I do what it says and I
> keep getting the two errors above.  This is becoming very frustrating.

It sounds to me like part of your installation might be a little screwed
up.  With a little more info, perhaps we can figure this out....

Later.