Subject: Re: Can you change your Root SCSI ID?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1998 17:31:47
>Roger Fischer wrote:
>> I've been running NetBSD off on an external 250MB drive on my SE/30.
>> The internal 40MB drive just took a dump.  I tried reformatting it with two
>> different utilities, Apple's "HD Setup" and FWB HD toolkit.  Neither will
>> do it.  It's a dead duck.
>>
>> So, If I wanted to take my external and put it inside of the SE, is there
>> an easy way to do it without reinstalling?  Other than the FSTAB, is there
>> anything that is critical to the SCSI ID?  Besides going from SCSI 4 to
>> SCSI 0, the drive would jump from SD1x to SD0x.
>
>Those are the only 2 things you should have to change.  That's part of the
>flexibility of the NetBSD device-handling scheme.  You _should_ be able to
>move things around however you want.  Make sure that you update your
>/etc/fstab before you boot multi-user after you've switched the drives,
>tho.  Oh, make sure that the internal drive is terminated.

Also...just because you're going from external to internal doesn't mea you
must change SCSI IDs. SCSI ID has nothing whatsoever to do with what SCSI
plug you're using. You could use SCSI ID 6 as your main internal boot disk,
with SCSI ID 0 being an external non-bootable disk if you wanted.

The only thing that changing SCSI ID would do would change its priority _IF
you had nothing selected in the "Startup Disk" control panel. With no boot
device selected, (If I recall correctly) the "pecking order" is (1) Floppy
(2) SCSI 0 (3) SCSI 6 (4) SCSI 5..4..3..2..1. The Mac will check each of
those for a valid system folder & boot from the first it finds.

HTH
Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.