Subject: Re: Kernel panic
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Eric B. Krauss <ebkrauss@ls.wustl.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1998 03:02:28
> Eric B. Krauss wrote:
> > This is my first post to the list.
> >
> > I just installed NetBSD 1.3 on my LC475, 540 MB IBM drive, five
partitions:
> > swap 50MB, root 40MB, /usr 200MB, /var 100MB, /home 130MB.  When the
> > partitions were created, Drive Setup adjusted the partitions so they
were a
> > few megs off.  There are also two zero meg apple_free partitions.
> >
> > The booter boots the kernel, but the top line of text gets cut off, as
well
> > as some symbols on the bottom, and then  . . .
> >
> > I keep getting a kernel panic:  "panic:  Res Hndls table too small!"
> >
> > I can't type anything; all I can do is reboot from the keyboard.
> >
> > What is the Res Hndls table and what can I do to rectify this?  Do I
need to
> > repartition the drive and start over?  I'd like to avoid that.
>
> The Res Hndls table is part of the Macintosh ROM Glue support for the ADB.
> It appears that you have one of the ADB devices which triggers this little
> problem.  You wouldn't happen to have a Kensington mouse, would you?
> These are the ones that normally cause this problem, but not the only ADB
> devices that do.
>
> Anyway, one solution is to switch to standard Apple ADB devices.  The
> other solution is to try a HWDIRECT kernel.  You can obtain the latter
> from Puma (if it's still up):
>
> ftp://www.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/eskimo.copy/kernels/
>
> I hope this helps.  Please let us know if it doesn't.
>
> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
> Component Design Engineer - MD6                 Intel Corporation
> I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.

You were right--it was adb rom + Kensignton mouse issue causing the panic.

I unplugged my Kensignton mouse and the kernel panic disappeared.  I cannot
login as root, however, and I am denied /etc/rc.conf access which I want to
configure.  Don't I need to login as root to create a login account and set
up files in /etc?  What about to set up X?

I am booting in single user mode.  I had to do fsck on my root partition
first, then I rebooted, and NetBSD reset the security level from 0 to 1.  I
don't know exactly what this is, but I assume it is why I can't log in as
root.

If I could just find a way to login as root, I could set up from there, as I
have access to some reference books I could use, and this is just a
standalone mac, no network, nothing fancy.

Thanks again.

Eric B. Krauss
Attorney at Law
ebkrauss@ls.wustl.edu