Subject: Re: Can you change your Root SCSI ID?
To: Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1998 00:05:47
Roger Fischer wrote:
> I've been running NetBSD off on an external 250MB drive on my SE/30.
> The internal 40MB drive just took a dump.  I tried reformatting it with two
> different utilities, Apple's "HD Setup" and FWB HD toolkit.  Neither will
> do it.  It's a dead duck.
>
> So, If I wanted to take my external and put it inside of the SE, is there
> an easy way to do it without reinstalling?  Other than the FSTAB, is there
> anything that is critical to the SCSI ID?  Besides going from SCSI 4 to
> SCSI 0, the drive would jump from SD1x to SD0x.

Those are the only 2 things you should have to change.  That's part of the
flexibility of the NetBSD device-handling scheme.  You _should_ be able to
move things around however you want.  Make sure that you update your
/etc/fstab before you boot multi-user after you've switched the drives,
tho.  Oh, make sure that the internal drive is terminated.

Good luck!