Subject: Re: esp revisited
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1998 00:36:41
At 23:26 Uhr +0100 23.03.1998, Colin Wood wrote:
>Hauke Fath wrote:

>> In short: A setup with 6 partitions (MacOS boot, root, swap, /usr, /var,
>> /home) appears to work -- adding another partition no matter what type
>> blows up the kernel. That`s essentially what kern/5174 is about.
>
>If you format the disk and then create the partitions, does it work?  I've
>had trouble with some formatters munging the partition map when I added
>partitions later.

No; it's literally as I said. A setup with > six partitions + 'sdXc'
crashes always. I set up for exactly sd{a,b,c,d,e,f,g} - 'c' is the whole
disk, 'd' is the hfs boot partition - and all is well. I divide a partition
in two, and on the next sdopen() the kernel crashes - for disklabel(8)
exactly when it tries to display data for sdXh, the eighth partition.

Formatter is APS 4.0.7, fwiw. I tried Apple's Disk Setup 1.3.1, with just
about the same result.

Weird, and mac68k/disksubr.c gives me no clue at all (other than it
desperately needs a cleanup).

>> So, what are others' experiences with big disks ( >1/2GB) and NetBSD/mac68k?
>
>I've got a 3 GB Quantum drive (Fireball?) that has 2 or 3 NetBSD
>partitions on it.  It worked fine when I had a single Usr type partition
>on it (it also has about 12 MacOS partitions).  After attempting to add
>the newer partitions, it likes to hang during mount or when doing a
>disklabel.  I can't remember where the problem is.  I also can't remember
>whether or not the Installer sees these partitions or not, but I seem to
>remember that the Installer dies on it.  I think it has the corrupted
>partition map problem :-(
>
>I also have a 4 GB Micropolis drive which works just fine (crossing my
>fingers as I say this :-)  I've got a full 7 NetBSD partitions on it, I
>believe, as well as a MacOS partition.  It has never given me trouble.

Strange.  =8)

	hauke