Subject: Re: 1.3.1
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@fb.sa.enteract.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/22/1998 12:28:33
Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Chris wrote:
>
> > Now that 1.3.1 is available what is the best way to upgrade.   Do I just
> > have to get the new kernel or is there more involved?
> >
> > Please don't tell me its like upgrading from 1.2x to 1.3...=)
>
> At this time 1.3.1 appears to exist only as a patch to the _sources_.
> Meaning that it's only useful if you're commited to first downloading all
> the sources, and then rebuilding userland. It's main purpose seems to be
> to save a lot of time if you're setting up a new machine to run -current,
> as there are extensive changes in the libs and tools since 1.3.

Not at all.  I'm pretty sure that 1.3.1 binaries are available for
NetBSD/mac68k.  The upgrade procedure is the same as that for 1.2.x ->
1.3.  Of course, you don't necessarily have to install everything.  Take a
look at the CHANGES doc (I think that's it) to see what improvements/fixes
have been made.

As for 1.3.1 being a stepping stone to -current, no, it's not.  Two months
prior to the 1.3 release, the 1.2G -current source tree was split
(branched, whatever).  Bug fixes and changes continued to be made to
-current, while generally only bug fixes were pulled up to what was now
the 1.3 release branch.  Once the branch had stabilized, the branch was
"frozen" and the 1.3 release was made.  At this point, many changes,
improvements, fixes, etc were still being made to the -current development
branch.  Following the 1.3 release, some bug fixes (usually for security
bugs or major functionality fixes) were pulled up to the 1.3.x release
branch, finally culminating in the 1.3.1 patch release 2 weeks ago.  Many
ports have created full binary sets for the 1.3.1 release.

So, as you can see, no true development has been done on the 1.3 branch.
That's left for -current.  When 1.3.2 comes out (and it probably will
before 1.4), it wil be even further removed from -current (which is at
1.3E, I think).  If you want to run -current, you'll need to get a
complete set of -current binaries.  The latest patch release just won't
cut it.

I hope this clears things up just a wee bit.

Later.