Subject: [Q] About packages (for bin distribution ?)...
To: ML - NetBSD <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gwenole Beauchesne <gwenole.beauchesne@iname.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/22/1998 11:59:45
Hi,

Since I already compiled a few tools (and I plan to compile more), I
would like to put those somewhere so others may benefit of.

The bad point is that I don't know how to pack them a decent way to make
them easy to install. I am aware of rmps for Linux and pkgadd for
Solaris. But what about NetBSD ?

I saw that there is a pkg-tools set for NetBSD. Is that the one I should
use and how ?

Actually, I thought of two alternatives:
- GNUtar zcvf the 'prefix' dir.
  + extraction is done the usual way
  + but it's painless to install by hand in the appropiate dirs (/usr or
    /usr/local) without a script.

- GNUtar zcvf the _content_ of the 'prefix' dir (ie: bin, lib, man, ...)
  + extraction is done with GNUtar `zxvf package.tgz -C directory`
  + but if the -C option is omitted, the package will be extracted in
    the current dir (eg: one will find { lib, bin, ... } in his $HOME).

What do you recommend me ? Do you have any other solutions to put
forward ?

What I have compiled so far (under NetBSD 1.3 (*)):
- hfsutils-3.2
- binutils-2.8.1
- diffutils-2.7
- gcc-2.8.1 :-) I did it the 'heavy' way (stage1, stage2, stage3 and
make compare). Looks ok.

(*) Since I plan to upgrade to NetBSD 1.3.1, I wonder if 1.3.1 binaries
are fully backward-compatible with a 1.3 system.

I thank you in advance.

  -- Gwenole --