Subject: My first try; /dev/rom
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Arentz <stefan.arentz@soze.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/1998 23:08:17
Hi folks,

As a spare time hack project I'm tinkering with NetBSD/mac68k code.. the
first thing I'm trying to do is to create a /dev/rom device to read
from the Macintosh ROM.

This is the device that I created:

crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    2,   3 Mar 20 21:36 /dev/rom

I added the following code to mmrw() in mem.c:

/* minor device 3 is ROM */
        case 3:
            if (uio->uio_rw == UIO_WRITE)
                return EFAULT;
            v = uio->uio_offset + ROMBASE;
            c = min(iov->iov_len, ROMLEN);
            error = uiomove((caddr_t)v, c, uio);
            continue;

But I'm getting the following results:

wopr# hexdump /dev/rom
hexdump: /dev/rom: Bad address

What am I doing wrong here? I was under the impression that it was
possible to read from the ROM while in kernel mode...

This is on a Q660AV, NetBSD 1.3

Greetings,

  Stefan