Subject: IIci as printserver for old deskwriter
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard E. Hawkins Esq. <hawk@eyry.econ.iastate.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/1998 14:08:38
Remember me?  I'm baaaack :)

I had the IIci running reasonably happilly, including X, with 32mb and a pair
of 80mb drives.  It went under the desk when the second hard drive got cranky,
and I ended up with a K6 as my new machine.

Anyway, looking around the office at my piles of obsolete hardware, I'm
wondering about setting up the IIci again just to be a printserver for the
obsolete DeskWriter (no model number; it's that old).

I recall that someone had the drivers working, but the processor is a bit
anemic for rendering fonts for ghostscript :)

So the idea that keeps bouncing around my head is to somehow have the K6 run
ghostscript, render the bitmap, and then send this to the IIci under the desk
to send to the printer.

Is this reasonable?  And can I pull this off if I can only come up with 60mb
of hard disk space?

rick

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.