Subject: Re: [Q] `df` command is bugged ?
To: Gwenole Beauchesne <gwenole.beauchesne@iname.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/20/1998 10:36:22
Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:
> > Try unmounting each of these filesystems and doing an fsck -f on each.  If
> > that doesn't help, no ideas here.
>
> That's what I did and the output looks true: accoding to a du command to
> my homedir (mounted on /dev/sd0e).
>
> << 3458 files 83712 used, 908117 free
> (1157 frags, 113370 blocks, 0.1% fragmentation) >>
>
> But `df -k /home` still gives me:
> << /dev/sd0e  1282043  373926  779912  32%  /home >>
>
> There is one point that worries me. What would happen if I fill my
> partition with, say 800,000K of data. I know that there is sufficient
> disk space left, but what will happen? Will NetBSD crash ? Maybe it
> won't but `df` will give erroneous data ?

I have found that the usage asymptotically approaches 100%.  In other
words, NetBSD doesn't crash, it simply doesn't quite fill up the way you
expect.  As long as you actually have 800MB of space, that is :-)  (Even
then, it shouldn't crash, just give you constantly annoying filesytem full
errors).

Later.